First and foremost, welcome!
Today’s Coaches Notes will be a lot longer than usual because I have a few things to point out. Please take the time to read through them.
Firstly, I am now offering this program based on my personal strength and conditioning programing, including powerlifting, kettlebell work, old school bodybuiding, plyometrics/jump training, strongman, yoga and some good old fashioned conditioning & speed work. I will do my best to scale things but let me be clear. IF SOMETHING HURTS – DON’T DO IT! Movement should support your life and there is no point in doing things that inhibit your day-to-day life.
Now for some explanations about things you’ll be seeing in the program that you may not be familiar with.
1) “Loaded” Squats. “Loaded” Lunges. “Loaded” Turkish Get Ups. “Loaded” Ground to Overhead. “Loaded” simply means that you can choose whatever implement you like. Your implement can be a Barbell, Kettlebell (single or double), Dumbbell (again, single or double), Sandbag, slam ball, medicine ball or a Rucksack loaded with whatever you have available (bricks wrapped in a towel to protect your ruck, are a good option.) You can also carry to implement in whatever position you like; front rack, back rack, goblet, bear hug, by your sides, overhead. As much as I want to challenge you, it’s also about being smart.
2) You will have much better success if you keep track of your exercises, implements and weights week to week.
3) All loaded movement will be listed in a RPE (rate of perceived effort 1 - 10) scale. For example: Loaded squat RPE 7 - Means it feels heavy and isn’t easy, you can still perform each rep with good technique, and you have a few reps left in the tank each set.
4) The workouts work in 3 week waves. Meaning, you will work 3 weeks with weights and the 4th week will be primarily high volume bodyweight.
5) Workout week format. Monday - Lower Body HEAVY Tuesday - Active Recovery and/or Short Interval (I will program for run/walk and rowing) Wednesday - Upper Body HEAVY Thursday - Active Recovery and/or Sled Work Friday - Lower Body Dynamic Strength Saturday – Stamina/Active Recovery/Recreation Day (I will program for run/walk and rowing) Sunday - Upper Body Dynamic Strength + Conditioning
6) If you do not do know how to do something look it up ;-) Hopefully videos demos will be coming soon
7) Have fun! If you have questions: email@example.com or leave them in the comments on the website.
8) Sets and Repetitions are listed as 3X8 - do 3 sets of 8 repetitions.
Your Workout for the week!
Monday: Max Effort LowerBody
A. Loaded Box Squat
Work up to a heavy for the day
At heaviest RPE 8 5X5
B. Loaded Deadlift (From the ground)
Moderate weight 75% to 85% 1RM RPE 7 3X3
C. Conditioning 5X
KB or DB Clean squat complex RPE 7 X10
KB or DB swing RPE 7 X10
Loaded Walking Lunges RPE 7 6 steps each leg
Rest 2 min. between rounds.
Tuesday: Short Interval
A. Yoga Class
B. RUN or Row
Run 8X400M Repeats 2 Minutes Rest
Row 8X500M Repeats 2 Minutes Rest
These are all out as fast as you can.
Wednesday: Max Effort UpperBody
A. Loaded Floor Press
Work up to a heavy for the day
At heaviest RPE 8 5X5
Incline KB Bench RPE 7 3X10
Single arm Loaded overhead Press RPE 7 3X10
Rope/TRX Rows 3X10
Heavy Lat Pull Downs RPE 8 5x3
Heavy Bent over Rows RPE 8 3X5
Bicep Curls RPE 6 3X10
Tricep Rope Extensions RPE 6 3X10
Thursday Long Interval/Active recovery
A. Sled Work
15 min. sled drag forward
5 min. sled drag 30M forward 30M backward
5 min. sled drag lateral step
(Don't have a sled? Check out this tutorial on how to make one - http://camykennedy.com/diy-tire-sled-pull/ or load a backpack up with 20 lbs. and walk for 20 minutes.
20 min. at 70%
C. Yoga Class
Friday: Dynamic Effort LowBody
A. Loaded Box Squats
@70% of the weight you used Monday. RPE 5 12X2
(So do the same squat you performed Monday)
The purpose of these is to work on power and speed. So perform the 2 reps with just a quick touch and go on the box. Do 2 reps and rest for 30 seconds. No longer - No shorter. Time the rest intervals. Again we are working in 3 week waves so the percent will go up every week. So don't worry, they will get harder
forward 12 in. hurdle jumps 20 jumps total
Lateral 12 in. hurdle jumps 20 jumps total
Box Jumps 5X5
(This is not conditioning! this is power development. Don't rush these. Take plenty of times between sets maybe 2 minutes.)
C. Conditioning: 3X Rounds
- Asymmetrical KB or DB Squats with front rack x12
- KB or DB Straight Leg Deadlifts x10
- Asymmetrical KB or DB Reverse Lunges x8 each leg
- KB or DB Swings x12
4 heavy sled pulls 25M
Don't have a sled. Forget this one ;-)
Saturday: Stamina/Active Recovery/Recreational
3 x 1600M
Rest until HR <99 between sets.
Cover as much distance as possible in 20:00 of Mononstructural activity (Run/Row/Bike/Ski Erg/Swim/Air Dyne)
Play a sport for at least 30 minutes
Sunday: UpperBody DE & Conditioning
A. Med Ball
Chest Throws against a wall 8-10 lbs. ball 5X5
B. Double KB or DB Clean & Press RPE 6 6X5
D. Conditioning 4 Rounds
2X Turkish up
12 Hindu PushUps
20 Ring/TRX rows
Loaded Farmers Walk 30M
E. Strong Man 2 Rounds w/DB or KB
15 seconds of Hercules Hold with Thumbs Facing Up
15 seconds of Hercules Hold with Palms Down Up
15 seconds of Hercules Hold with Palms Facing Up
30 seconds of Overhead Hold